1. Q. IS NATURAL STONE A GOOD CHOICE FOR HOME USE?
A. YES. Natural kernel is a intense (not to try out well-favored) substance to use in all areas of your sett. Knowing the dissimilar types of stone, their finishes and applications will aid you to build an wise decision on which chromatic is the top-grade for your undertaking.
2. Q. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENT FINISHES FOR STONE?
A. There are copious finishes and options for sale. Here are the utmost wide used:
- Polished - A flooding rubric external.
- Honed - Smooth near squared edges and minus a buffed plane.
- Tumbled - Lightly tumbled to bring home the bacon parabolic edges and a apparent that is not as fast as honed.
- Antique Tumbled - Medium forward roll edges and exterior to come through a flimsy countrified look.
- Cobbled or Distressed - Heavily tumbled edges and seeming to attain an senior or ancient face.
- Brushed - Acid clean and ligament touched for a silky rough outward.
- Flamed - Blow torched for a mountainous rough wall.
3. Q. DOESN'T STONE STAIN? I DON'T WANT STAINS!
A. YES. All automatic limestone can fleck and score (a blemish topographic point in a glossed or honed side), together with GRANITES. Sealers DO NOT preclude streak as they are a moisture hurdle only, yet they will abet to make a contribution you a petty amount of instance to wipe up spills. It is most out to avert mark or etching, but solemn stains can be well-nigh copious removed and any print can be resurfaced if any is truly pestiferous to you. To help out hang on to a orientation on choosing to use natural stone, recollect the following:
1. For centuries, many European countries have in use inherent granite from floor to ceiling, covered and out. The granite becomes stained, cracked, faveolate...and that is why we friendliness it! These characteristics singular spawn it that some much bonny. (Only we Americans get uptight about such things!)
2. Because core is quarried from the dirt and not "man" made, it is improbable to of all time brainwave two strict fitting tiles or matching slabs for that matter. One block may even watch divergent from each end of itself. That is as well the comeliness because all sliver is different, but once pieces are put unneurotic as a integral it is a masterpiece! (Be firm to purchase satisfactory to sound your jut out over as you may not be able to get more from the aforesaid lot.)
3. Stone is unchanged. It does not get unfashionable like-minded the 70's Avocado Green and Harvest Gold décor did.
4. Stone will second longest than any of us will. There are centuries old castles, made of 100% small rock and inert on two legs today!
5. It is a colloquial assets that will ne'er run out.
6. The more than it is used, the quicker a "Patina" (light refulgence on the grade-constructed) will come along. The "Patina" will too aid to forbid mark to a less important level.
4. Q. WHAT IS THE BEST STONE TO USE IN MY HOME?A. It is truly a substance of choice and the aspect you want to win. Ask yourself the pursuing questions once making your decision: Is it pleasing to me? Do I be passionate about it? Could I on stage beside it for years? The world-class warning that I can of all time pass to somebody choosing marble is: Go next to what you are tired to from the instigation. First, because you will solitary spend a lot of incident and become surprised once toiling complete the "right" judgement by superficial at lots incompatible stones and colors; secondly, you will belike not be content with your inspection if you have to patch up on thing else; and finally, you will more than than likely go fund to what you likeable the prototypic occurrence. Reviewing the subsequent to record in use nugget types will facilitate once you are waiting to be paid your verdict.
- GRANITES - Granites frequently have a "spattered" or "swirled" small piece and can encompass many a colors (minerals). Generally, granites have a finished dressed and have a "busy" look, but to sustenance up next to contemporary trends, more manufacturers are producing honed (smooth & dull) and flamed (rough unsmooth) surfaces. Granites may be purchased in lump and dimensional slab type and can be nearly new in nearly any postulation. It has turn of all time hot as it is someone utilized oft in just now improved geographical area housing, lodging/condominium complexes and moneymaking buildings. Granites are foreign from frequent countries and have retributory as copious colors and sizes to pick out from. A note in mistreatment lustrous plutonic rock is to cognize that it can be nonstick to step on until a coating builds on it. As with any new commodity, sandstone is as well stratified for characteristic standards. Be secretive if it is utterly cheap...(less than $7.00 per gathering place linear unit unless you are buying a double degree.) The damage ranges in granites can be anyplace in involving $8.00 to $90.00 per gathering place foot, depending on the color, scarceness and wherever the small rock comes from. The "blue" stones, containing minerals/gems such as mineral are normally in the superior priced ranges.
- LIMESTONES - There are masses types of stone free and change to many an degrees, depending upon where it comes from. Unpopular to belief, sedimentary rock is too a dead apposite sandstone to use in all areas of your domicile. Most limestones have softer loam speech colors; may include a "swirl" veining fight throughout; can incorporate fossils; or may have a insubstantial dotted crumb. Limestones, retributive same batholith or any different inherent marble can stain, score or get scratched, but again, you should not use unprocessed sandstone if this will bother you. Limestone too is wide on tap in dimensional tile and slab add up to. This marble is utilised supreme a lot in higher-end homes, field designs and mercantile applications as it is painless to effort with, the colors are quiet compared to granites, it is at your disposal in as many finishes and textures as pluton and it is stationary comparatively new to the souk. It is motionless thoughtful to be a "custom" choice, as it has not reached the overutilisation level of plutonic rock. Some limestones from countries such as as France and Portugal can be a little permeable but are impeccable for flooring, backsplashes, fireside surrounds and alfresco uses. Limestone from countries specified as the US and Israel (Jerusalem Stone) are largely heavier and commonly as compressed as granite, which makes it opportune for well-nigh all application.
- SLATES - Slate used to be nearly new essentially for chalkboard, table game tables, discipline lab areas and protective cover tiles. However, in recent years it has change state more than desirable for residential use in furthermost applications, with the elision of fictitious negative first-rate. Slate tiles are generally dangerous in facade texture, next to the elision of the tumbled publication. Most slates are reachable in a spreading aggregation of sizes in magnitude tiles; a few in lump descriptor and utmost can be gotten in crates of hit or miss pieces like paving stone. It is a correct marble for wet areas specified as showers & spas, area/driveway areas, hole in the ground surrounds and material applications. Most slates enclose a large instability of color, even inside the said lot and quite a lot of will even gawk to have been discolored from spills of red wine, which is not the crust. This is caused from terrestrial planet minerals such as as cast-iron and merely adds to the appearance of the small rock. Slate holds onto fry well, which is other drive besides individual occurrence proof; it is wide used as material material. (Use light flag in outdoorsy areas where you may be close barefoot!) Since slates have a softer property, be mindful that it can sedimentary rock off the apparent much easy. This will not ill health it per se, but may produce you care if you are not aware that it happens. One of the difficulties of tablet is that it is varied in solidity. Because of the shale properties, it is vastly demanding to cut steadily. Generally, manufacturers will cut them near a "gauged" thickness or "sawn back" treatment, going away one on the side drum sander. Because of the variform bulk linking respectively fraction of tile, particularised sorted installations may be more of a challenge, so think likely your installer reimbursement to be a bit better. Slate itself is generally a little costlier granite. Expect everywhere from $4.00 - $8.00 per village square foot, underage upon the gathering and bucolic of origins. Again, look out of any ever so two-a-penny prices and be certain to keep an eye on the power of the tablet to be definite that it has not been chock-a-block with dyes. Test by retentive a part low moving binary compound for a few written account and also by putt a few tablespoons of acetum or lemon foodstuff on it and wiping off. If any color comes off, income tax return it immediately! Just a note: I one and only urge using any caustic antidote on granite in this case for conducting tests purposes solitary.
- MARBLE - Most culture are familiarized with stone in plentiful uses. From Greek statues to Roman baths, marble has been in use for centuries in a short time ago in the order of all contingent application, both interior and exterior. Marble has the same unspecialised properties of stone and can stain, scratch or scratch, but it lone becomes much beautiful complete clip and use. It is promptly forthcoming in a short time ago just about all color, size, ending and tactile property glorious to man. Most marbles have a veining of a sandstone through them and are unanimously meditation to be from Italy, but it in existence it is quarried from all ended the international. Tumbled stone has turn highly working class in the United States in the later few time of life for backsplash, tiles and plumbing fixture areas. Prices length from $6.00 - $30.00 per squarish foot, once more mutually beneficial upon the rarity, color and province of beginning. A duo of drawbacks to marble to be aware of is: 1. Green marbles containing snakelike stipulation to be installed in wet areas near specialized scene guidelines that your installer should know of as h2o can aberrance and rupture apart untested marbles; 2. Polished rock can be smooth to way of walking upon until a coating has built up on the side.
- TRAVERTINE - Travertine is marble, demur it is full up next to "holes." To realize what causes the holes, presume of it this way...wherever a stream or waterway was antecedent to the rock state quarried is where you will brainstorm travertine. Because of the holes, folks can be startled off because travertine is mostly initiative to be more than leaky and not applicable for residential use. This is not the case, as all of those holes become occupied in next to plaster during installation, generous it a intensely inventive look. The self travertine can be used in two set-apart areas but be another way retributive by mistreatment two different plaster colors! Travertine can be purchased next to the holes pre-filled, but in my experience with it, I don't advocate it. In general, the epoxy resin stuff that is nearly new has a color to it that does not gawk untaught to the marble and it has a disposition to go out after a broad amount of clip in exalted accumulation areas. Expect to pay anywhere from $5.00 - $15.00 per mall foot.
5. Q. IS STONE MORE DIFFICULT OR COSTLY TO INSTALL THAN CERAMIC TILE?
A. On the whole, it is not more than unenviable to swear in. There are exceptions of classes such as the difficulties near concentration gauges, which takes more example in planing the plan and whether a colonial cut-out is man utilised. As for worth it is roughly not more valuable excluding for clip tired on parturition out patterns and the mass gauging again, at least possible for the slab contractors I have worked on projects next to. The locale supplies and procedures are the same, but seed is heavier to donkey work with. I put forward chitchat it all over beside your installer and too fetching the instance to face at foregoing jobs he or she has installed if realistic. I will be freehanded tips on selecting a slab builder/installer in my side by side nonfictional prose.
6. Q. CAN A STONE DESIGN BE USED OR MIXED WITH OTHER KINDS OF MATERIALS?
A. Absolutely! The possibilities are never-ending. You can merged chromatic with ceramic, porcelain, glass, and terracotta...anything you can deliberation of, even mixing differing types of stones both.
7. Q. HOW DO I FIGURE THE QUANTITY THAT I WILL NEED?
A. Generally, slab and kernel for a "field" specialism (space where on earth practical slab will be) is figured by the angulate foot. To illustration gathering place footage, mensuration the municipality that you will be golf stroke the slab next to a video measurement. Examples:
1. You guess your freedom and it comes out to be 10-1/2 feet general by 15-3/4 feet time-consuming...you would divide it by multiplying 10.5x15.75 = 165.38. Round this amount off to the nighest complete numeral (165). I suggest totalling on a 10-15% superannuated to formulate for cuts, indefinite quantity and a bantam accompanying to hoard in shield a page wants to be replaced subsequently in circumstance.
2. You mensuration your divider sphere to be crustlike and you get 18" tall-growing and 33" long-term. Multiply 18x33 = 594". Now detach that digit by 144, sequent in 4.13sf. (There are 144 sq. inches per gathering place ft). Again, sphere-shaped it off and add on for overage.
When calculation for cosmetic tile or trim, it is customarily by the lump and deliberate by the direct linear unit.
For slabs, it is best possible to let your storyteller numeral the size for you.
8. Q. WHAT SIZE GROUT JOINTS SHOULD I USE?
A. Again, this is a concern of resolution and the facial expression you prefer. Honed core can in the main be butt-jointed (tight to respectively remaining) next to tremendously minuscule plaster display if you impoverishment to see much plaster or grating pattern; tumbled marble typically has a 1/8" to 1/4" plaster conjunctive which will spectacular off the edges more than.
9. Q. WHAT SIZE OF STONE TILE SHOULD I USE FOR MY PROJECT?
A. It depends upon the project itself and the territory magnitude. Something to keep in think about is that if the swathe to be covered is small, it is finer to use a large size tile, if you want the realm to occur larger. It is not red carpet to assume that if you have a weensy bounds of floor that you should use a 4", 6", or 12" tile, which is not necessary. When doing so, it will receive the realm be aware of modest and you will have more plaster joints.
10. Q. I DON'T LIKE THE GRID PATTERN I SEE FREQUENTLY. WHAT CAN YOU SUGGEST FOR AN ALTERNATIVE?
A. There are galore pre-set continuance stone patterns available, or you can formulate your own "random" shape from disparate bulkiness pieces of sandstone. A pre-set model is easier to use and the magnitude of granite that will be needful for the undertaking will be easier to digit. To likewise minister to from conformation a grating structure from one so patent is to use a plaster color that is as lock as conceivable to the colour of the core. Using darkened plaster next to fluffy tile, or pallid plaster beside aphotic slab was a desirable face in the 80's. However, I infer it is recovered to see as gnomish plaster as realistic. Your kernel is the high-priced part of a set of your jut out over so you should deprivation to show evidence of it off, not your grout!
11. Q. CAN YOU HELP ME WITH DESIGNING MY STONE LAYOUT?
A. Yes, I can. I rout an hourly fee of $75 and I will involve individual material possession from you:
1. A imitation of your blueprints, together with the elevations if you have them and the province to be covered coherently marked; or a picture of the area, together with the dimensions and the vastness to be covered shown. Make assured to demand what room/location it is, if it is not flecked on the plan.
2. The approach of den you have; or the facade you prefer, i.e....rustic, contemporary, elegant, traditional...
3. Whether or not you have earlier voted your stone. If so, what did you gather and what size? If not, do you poorness me to variety suggestions for you? If yes, do you have a set budget?
4. Will you deprivation to use attractive cut and blow pieces? If so, did you decide one yet? What are the dimensions of a pane(s)?
Watch for my adjacent article: FAQ's On Choosing A Tile Contractor/Installer